Tuesday, December 11, 2007

don´t get me wrong

It is not that I do not like Christmas with the streets packed with people shopping stuff they don't need.
It's not that I do not like the lighting on the city streets, squandering electrical power when we, at home, worry about saving up energy and when there are places in the world where people do not have electricity at all.
It's not that I do not like Christmas with its gatherings, social meetings, work parties where you talk to people you really do not get along with or people to whom you have no intention to see again until the following Christmas.
It's not that I don't like Christmas meals where you wolf down an amazing amount of food when there are people dying of starvation throughout the world.
Christmas is a token of arrogance in the wealthy Western countries. It is not that I do not like it but whatever this is, is not Christmas for sure.

7 comments:

El Gran Humungus said...

Well, let me tell you I don't think so. At all. If there was a day the word Christmas meant anything beyond showing off and pretending hapiness and love, it must be part of the darkest days of History by now. If that day ever existed. So I don't feel uncomfortable at all when I say I loath this piece of hypocrisy and lies and shopping frenzy that has been sold to us in the shape of a just-born holy baby who lives in a humble barn. Because that's Christmas. And it gives me the creeps.

Unhinged Monica said...

well, we agree at last...

El Gran Humungus said...

I love when people agree with ME...

;)

Unhinged Monica said...

ejem ejem

El Gran Humungus said...

Es lo que tenemos en el páramo, que no podemos ocultar nuestra alegría cuando algo que nos alegra sucede. Ni los motivos. ¿Eso es de mala educación por estas tierras? Porque no habrás pensado ni por un momento que me ha podido la vanidad, ¿no?

Anonymous said...

si todas apuntaramos al reno ya veriamos lo que ocurría

javier h.

Unhinged Monica said...

sin acritud! javier!