Friday, September 14, 2007

this home was my palace and now it's gone


Picture from http://news.bbc.co.uk/


8.9 it seems just a number. 8.9 is a number on a scale but it can't really express what people might be feeling now there, on Sumatera Island, Indonesia.
I have only experienced two earthquakes in my life; the first one, here in Spain, the second one, on the Andaman Islands, India, the year after the Tsunami. Both times I was absolutely scared, both times I needed to get away, to walk irrationally. On the Andamans, my fear was nothing compared to the fear of the locals who had been through the Tsunami the previous year. One could see it in their eyes. Everybody was afraid but everyone knew there was nothing to do. We gathered together on the road away from the beach as a balsam to that fear, asking and checking out that everyone on the island was alright.
Anyway I cannot imagine what spending a second night in the open might feel like. The second day of the Muslim fasting month. "This home was my palace and now it's gone." Ibu Rosdanyar.

2 comments:

Damian said...

Whenever the earth shakes here people run outside to see whether a tsunami is coming. And they seem to have a real feeling for it - they know as soon the as the earth shakes, and they're outside before I even know what's happening.

We felt it here in Nias, but no damage. Our neighbour recieved a call from family in Jakarta - they felt it there. A second quake came the following morning, less violent and lasting a little longer.

Always exciting, sometimes scary, and somehow never a surprise.

Unhinged Monica said...

Yes my friends in Pekanbaru and Jakarta felt it but everyone is ok. Nice to hear from you (safe and sound)