Tuesday, March 06, 2007

scary singaporean facts

Some time ago I wrote about Singapore. I said I liked the city-state with its mixture of asiatic warmth and western efficiency. At that time I did not know some scary things that I discovered yesterday during my 6 hours waiting at the airport and talking to a couple of Singaporeans.
Here they are:
1. Men are forbidden to have long hair.
2. Strikes are illegal, if you go on a strike you can end up in jail.
3. Chewing gum is forbidden.
4. The ratio of policemen to population is among the highest in the world.
5. Anyone can be arrested and detained indefinitely without trial.
And I guess there are many other issues...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least Singapure is the mixture of asiatic warmth and western fascism!
I´m sure that George W. is Jealousy of the singapore´s law

Welcome back!!

Unhinged Monica said...

Thanks.... yes Mr. Bush should learn about this "democracy"....


M.