Wednesday, January 10, 2007

your head, your temple


When the owner of the guest house I'm staying at has come up to me saying "Monicaaaa" I knew I had done something wrong. The look in his eyes was like that in my mother's when as a child I had broken something valuable in the house. I was right. Without knowing I was being disrespectul to Thais.

I had my wet underwear hanging on a bamboo stick behind my hut. That is not an ofense, there's nothing wrong in you hanging your underwear on a bamboo stick behind your beautiful, perfect bamboo hut. But if your underwear hangs above somebody's head level, then you are ofending them. In Thai culture it is impolite to hang one's underwear above the level of a person's head, because the head is the "temple" of a person, like in other Buddhist countries, and I guess somebody's underwear is just not good, clean and pure enough as to be hanging above anybody's temple.

1 comment:

Caléndula said...

Que bueno :D me parece genial