Sunday, December 17, 2006

it's just mathematics



In India a friend taught me the theory of the Fibonacci Numbers which appear in most of the shapes in Nature. The Fibonacci series is 0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21...Each number being the sum of the previous two ones. This series defines the structure of a spiral. The spiral is a constant shape in Nature.


Waves are spirals, the pattern leaves draw around the branches of a tree is a spiral, the shape of seashells is a spiral...


A spiral, a continuum, a never-ending three-dimensional curve... We, humans, can not get away from the laws of Mother Nature. We also draw spirals we are forever going through the same patterns in life. It's our nature, it's mathematics.







"Please come with me and detract me from my proud solitude.

I beg yee, rescue me from this prison of arrogance.

Odd, you came all this way just to hate yourself.

Tell me, old friend, why you think it is that your life, everything you do,

with all its creative potential, is regularly marred with self doubt,

self loathing and ruthless self abesement?"



Chris Harper

No comments: